What is Teen Trendsetters™ Reading Mentors?
Because we know the ability to read well greatly impacts long-term academic achievement, we work to help Florida’s lowest performing elementary school children become more fluent readers.
Our Teen Trendsetters™ Reading Mentors program, an award-winning youth mentoring effort, is focused on improving the reading levels of 2nd and 3rd graders by:
- Providing elementary students with weekly, one-on-one mentoring sessions to help them become more fluent readers
- Helping mentors gain important leadership, organizational and community service skills
How Teen Trendsetters Works:
- Teen Trendsetters™ Reading Mentors targets high school teens interested in earning community-service hours, a requirement of Bright Futures Scholarships.
- Mentees who are low-performing readers and are at least 6 months behind grade level are referred by their elementary teacher to the high school academic advisor for Teen Trendsetters.
- Teen Trendsetters™ Reading Mentors uses Brainstorm™, a 40-minute science-based reading curriculum designed jointly by the Teen Trendsetters™ program and Scholastic, Inc.
- 100% of mentors are trained, 73% received on-site training and 27% utilized on-line training.
- Mentees receive approximately 14 free books throughout the year to build their own home library.
To date, Teen Trendsetters programs in Florida have:
- Reached 13,200 elementary students and 14,300 teens
- Resulted in over 200,000 volunteer hours since the program was first launched in 2002
- Provided 30,000 books to mentees to become part of their at-home libraries and encourage reading at home
Teen Trendsetters, a Cost Effective Approach to Helping Students
- $220 per mentor/mentee match
- Private partners support the program through in-kind donations and financial sponsorship including Comcast, State Farm, Scholastic and General Mills